WMC offering free health education in the Ossian community
Monday, August 18, 2014 8:11 AM
The Winneshiek Medical Center Ossian Clinic will offer a free health education series in the Ossian Community: “Journey to Better Health – prevent heart disease and type 2 diabetes.”
Taught by WMC Diabetes Educator Jean Irvin, RN, the six-session series will help people understand their risks for heart disease and diabetes, take steps to improve their health and provide opportunities to ask questions relating to chronic disease prevention and management.
Journey to Better Health is Saturday mornings, beginning Aug. 23, in the WMC Ossian Clinic. Everyone is welcome to attend, and attendees can sign up to win door prizes at each class. Session topics are:
• Walk-in glucose screening, Saturday, Aug. 23, 7:30 - 9:30 a.m., No registration required. Includes: glucose, blood pressure, height, weight, waist circumference and body mass index. Fasting preferred.
• Health Risk Assessment, Saturday, Aug. 30, 8:30 - 9:30 a.m.,What are your risks related to heart disease and type 2 diabetes?
• Benefits and options for exercise, Saturday, Sept. 6, 8:30-9:30 a.m.,
Explore exercise options including aerobic, strengthening, core stability, flexibility and balance; and learn how to incorporate activity into your daily routine.
• Label reading, Saturday, Sept. 13, 8:30-9:30 a.m., Understand how to interpret the information on a food label. Learn about serving sizes, how to reduce the amount of sodium and fats and how to eliminate trans fats and increase fiber content.
• Stress management, Saturday, Sept. 20, 8:30-9:30 a.m., Stress can affect your overall health. Learn the signs and symptoms of stress, healthy and unhealthy responses to stress and options for stress management.
• Health myths and facts, Saturday, Sept. 27, 8:30-9:30 a.m.,What have you heard from your friends or in the media? Bring questions to this session.
Irvin says, “Diabetes and heart disease can be prevented or managed when people begin to make positive health choices in their daily lives. Journey to Better Health will help educate the community on how they can take steps to prevent - or live well - with chronic illness.”
She added, “WMC is pleased to be able to meet the health needs of the people of southern Winneshiek County and the surrounding communities through our new Ossian Clinic location.”
Class sizes are limited. The registration deadline for each class is the Thursday prior. Call 563-387-3156 to register or for more information.
Our app is now available!