Lightning strike causes house fire
Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:48 AM
The Decorah Fire Department responded to a house fire early Thursday morning at the Craig and Renee Rabe residence, 1010 Linden St.
The family was awakened by a lightning strike and discovered light smoke which set off the smoke detectors. The Rabes then left the house and reported the fire.
When firefighters arrived, smoke was found throughout the house. The fire was located in the space between the basement ceiling and under the main flooring. The fire was extinguished quickly and the area was examined for remaining heat sources that might rekindle the fire.
According to the Fire Department, the home had two working smoke detectors. No injuries were reported.
Firefighters were on the scene more than two hours. The Fire Department was assisted by the Decorah Police Department, Winneshiek Medical Center Ambulance, Alliant Energy and Black Hills Energy.
The damage amount is undetermined.