NICE ride scheduled for September
Tuesday, August 26, 2014 11:00 AM
The Northeast Iowa Cycling Experience (NICE) Ride is slated for Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 20-21, out of Decorah.
Each day of the NICE Ride, planned by Cycle Iowa, will offer different routes with a long and short route option. Riders will start and finish each day at the Winneshiek County Fairgrounds, where camping will be available.
Cycle Iowa Director Danny Carroll told the Decorah City Council last week he is anticipating about 200 riders.
“We’re expecting it to be a popular event. We’ve had good support from the Chamber and the bike shops,” he said.
According to its website, cycleiowa.winningit.com/NICERide, the Purpose of Cycle Iowa
is to promote physical fitness and health through bicycling. The organization also aims to:
• Showcase Iowa’s beauty and scenic landscape, as well as the friendly hospitality of Iowan’s?
• Provide safe, affordable tour rides for a limited number of riders to ensure the enjoyment of the experience?
• Provide economic impact and publicity to rural and urban communities across Iowa?
• Provide a revenue source for the Iowa Sports Foundation but primarily for Adaptive Sports Iowa, which provides sports and recreation opportunities for Iowans with physical disabilities.?
• Promote the Adaptive Sports Iowa programs, particularly the ASI RAGBRAI team?
• Expand the reach of the Iowa Sports Foundation across Iowa?
• Build on the mission of the Iowa Sports Foundation to provide sports, recreation, health and wellness opportunities for Iowans of all abilities
All proceeds from the NICE Ride will go toward Adaptive Sports Iowa.
This is the inaugural year for Cycle Iowa. Annually, Cycle Iowa will offer a series of bicycling tour rides throughout Iowa. The NICE Ride is the organization’s first event. To register for the ride, visit Cycle Iowa’s website.