Decorah Fire Department personnel at the scene of a house fire Sunday. (Photo by Julie Berg-Raymond)
Decorah Fire Department personnel at the scene of a house fire Sunday. (Photo by Julie Berg-Raymond)

At 12:27 p.m. Sunday, the Decorah Fire Department received a call for a possible house fire. On arrival of fire department units, heavy smoke was noted to be coming from the first and second floor windows of a two-story house. No one was home at the time of the fire.

According to a statement released by the Decorah Fire Department, "an interior attack was done and the fire was knocked down. Extensive overhaul was required to confirm there was no spread of the fire to other parts of the structure. No injuries were reported. There was fire and water damage to one room and smoke damage to the rest of the home. The cause of the fire was determined to be unattended cooking on the kitchen stove."

No damage amounts have been determined at this time.

The Decorah Fire Department was assisted by the Decorah Police Department, Winneshiek Co. Sheriff's Department, Iowa State Patrol, Winneshiek Medical Center Paramedic Service, Alliant Energy, Black Hills Energy and the American Red Cross.