South Winn enrollment down by 24
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:48 AM
Enrollment at South Winneshiek is down 24 students, according to Superintendent Chris Hoover.
Hoover presented the certified enrollment for fiscal year 2013 at Monday's South Winneshiek School Board meeting. Total enrollment for the District is 538, which reflects a 4-percent decrease from last year.
Barb Schwamman, elementary/middle school principal, presented enrollment projections, which indicate a possible 12-percent drop over the next five years.
Hoover explained this year's decline will mean a decrease in state revenue of $144,014, or $6,001 per student.
With regard to what that might mean for District programs, Hoover said,"We'll see what happens.
"Anytime you have declining enrollment, you have to look at everything. But we have an extremely healthy unspent budget authority and an extremely healthy general fund balance."
Hoover said before the District explores any cuts, it will look at specific grade level enrollments, "and go from there."
"We'll also wait and see if anyone is planning to retire," he said.
Field and track
In other matters, the Board approved the low construction bid to Reilly Construction of Ossian for phase one of the football field and track construction project in the amount of $77,348.
Phase one will be the re-crowning of the football field, drainage and work on the hillside. A new roadway also will be constructed to allow for room to push the visitor-side bleachers back.
Phase two will include the irrigation system and phase three will involve destroying the old track and rebuilding it. The reason for a three-phase project is to perform the work in conjunction with individual sports seasons.
The Board also gave permission to four FFA students to initiate fundraising for a trip to the Royal Highland Show in Scotland. Although it is not a school-sponsored trip (the students will pay for the expenses themselves), FFA Advisor Melissa Brincks asked the Board for permission for the students to fundraise at school.
Finally, the Board discussed the circumstances surrounding a lockdown at their school buildings Oct. 16.
Schools in Calmar and Ossian were locked down after shots were fired at a home next to the Calmar Police Department and a block away from South Winneshiek High School. Law enforcement gave the all clear at about 2:15 p.m.
Hoover explained the communication sent home to parents and to the community regarding the events of the day. Because the "safe zones" were utilized, the District will now secure new, undisclosed locations for buses to go to during similar events in the future.
Research is also being conducted on school notification systems that can be used to provide phone or text messages quickly to assist in the communication process.